Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Johnson watch back on?

The News and Observer in North Carolina reported that the 'Canes have made an offer to Jack Johnson right around the rookie max of $850,000 a year for 3 years. The Minnesota fans/Anti-Hobart people on USCHO seem to think this means that he is gone, but that's not The Blog That Yost Built's position.

While I'm on the record as saying that I don't think Johnson should play college hockey (unless he's reading this and cares what I think), I just don't think this article should be news to anyone. Johnson was taken 3rd overall and Carolina said right off the bat that they wanted to sign him. Did anyone really think he'd make substantially less than the rookie max? The kid was picked 3rd overall for cryin' out loud! He knew pretty much what he could expect out of Carolina. Now, could having a $2.5 million offer actually staring him in the face change his mind? Maybe.

The Jack Johnson DEFCON will drop back down to 4, as indicated in the sidebar. On another note, the guy who wrote that article's name is Luke DeCock. Too many jokes.

In a great feel-good story, MS-stricken goalie Jordan Sigalet has signed a one-year contract with the Boston Bruins. I'm really rooting for this kid. I liked him ever since he put on a show against Michigan and made 48 saves in a 1-1 tie, and after his affliction came out last year he showed a lot of heart and guts playing through it. On top of that he seems like just a great, great kid. It's really easy to root for people like him.

The Red Wings invited a player named Robin Big Snake to training camp. Is it too much to ask that this kid eventually make the NHL so I can get a jersey with "Big Snake" on the back? Does he have a built-in pickup line that's better than Tayshaun Prince being able to tell girls that everyone calls him "long"?

Isn't this cute? Vancouver gave the Sedin twins identical contracts even though Daniel outscored Henrik by 12 points in the last NHL season. At some point doesn't the "twins" thing have to go away? Really guys...just because you look alike and were created from the same egg doesn't mean you have to sign the exact same contract. I'm surprised we were actually let in on which player went #2 in the draft. They should both be listed as being pick 2 1/2.

6 comments:

robert paulson said...

The hockey people down here in Raleigh have been thinking all along that Johnson would sign. But I guess I'm a little less convinced after reading Spath's posts. I think they just took 1 or 2 quotes on draft day and ran with it.

In other news, Green Bay is on ESPN tonight against the Chargers. Aaron Rodgers gets to make his pro debut. Should be interesting. If he's anywhere as near as accurate as he was in college, he could be the steal of the draft at 24.

Brian said...

awesome JJ defcon. It doesn't show up on individual post pages, though.

Packer487 said...

Antoine Pitts' article was what raised my confidence all the way back up. Jack could've still just been posturing, but I really don't think there was any way they were offering him less than the rookie max as it was.

I'm excited about the Packers game tonight. I've ignored the other preseason games so this would by my first one of the new season. I can't wait to see that Mike Hawkins kid, personally. Came out of nowhere and it sounds like he could end up starting if he keeps it up.

Brian: Glad you like it. Know any way offhand that I could make it show up on the individual post pages? Like I said, I'm stupid with this HTML stuff.

Anonymous said...

From what I've heard, JJ's parents are rather well off financially, so money isn't the issue. Perhaps that's why JJ said in one of those articles that if he decided to turn pro it wouldn't be for the money.

Brian said...

you should see in your blogger template some tags that are labeled: "MainOrArchivePage". Your JJ defcon is probably between a couple of them. Move it outside.

Packer487 said...

Sweet, it worked! Thanks :)